Year 7 Induction Resources
You are at the start of a very exciting journey that we are looking forward to sharing with you!
Starting a new school is exciting, but also a time when you have lots of questions. This page will, hopefully, answer those questions...
Welcome from Miss Prosser, Head of Key Stage 3
I am thrilled to welcome you to Princess Helena College and I hope that you are excited to join us. We can’t wait to meet you all and welcome you to the PHC community!
Transition is a bit different this year, but we have lots of ways to ease your nerves and we want to answer any questions you have before joining us. Our current Year 7s have produced a video just for you, answering key questions that they had before joining PHC. They are very keen to support you and you have each been allocated a pen pal for the summer, who will act as your buddy when you join PHC in September. On your first day you will meet your buddy and they will be there to support and guide you through your first year at PHC.
We will help you throughout the entire year, supporting you every step of the way. I want to ensure that you are happy at school as your wellbeing is essential to help you progress. I look forward to helping you on your journey to fulfil your potential.
In the meantime, have a wonderful summer and remember that if you have any questions we are always here to talk to! Please meet me and your form teachers in reception on the first day of term.
Head of Key Stage 3
New Starter Booklet
This booklet contains lots of useful information on what it's like being a student at PHC. Download it here.
Tour of Princess Helena College
Join Miss Prosser for a virtual tour of PHC here.
We have a fun challenge for you to work on over the summer holidays. Please remember to bring this with you on your first day of school in September, it will be a great way to get to know your classmates. Download the template here.
Our current Year 7's have answered some common questions you may have about joining PHC, from what are the main differences between primary and secondary school to what are the best parts of PHC. Watch their answers here. If you have a question that isn't answered here then please contact Miss Prosser and she will be happy to help!
The School operates a minibus service which provides transport to and from school from North London and towns across Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire. The routes are reviewed at the beginning of each academic year and costs on a term by term basis. View our current routes here.
New Parent Information Booklet
For new parents, here is a useful information booklet with everything you need to know about your child joining PHC. Download here.
What to pack for my first day of school?
Recommended Academic Equipment:
- Pens - blue or black
- 30cm ruler
- Small, clear plastic, semi-circular protractor (don't buy an expensive geometry
- sets as many of the items are not suitable for school use)
- Locking compass e.g. Maped Study Stop or Helix Locking Compass
- Pencil sharpener
- Soft rubber
- Safe scissors
- Coloured pencils
- Pencil case
- Set of plastic wallets - one per subject
- Your PE kit
- A big smile and lots of enthusiasm!
Dates for your Diary
- Term Begins: Thursday 3 September, 8:20 (Please note on Thursday 3 and Friday 4 September buses will depart at 16:15 instead of 18:00)
- Year 7 Parents’ Welcome Evening: Monday 14 September, 17:30 – 19:00
- Whole School Open Day: Saturday 26 September, 10am – 1pm
- House Music Competition: Wednesday 14 October, 18:30 – 19:45
- Half Term Departs: Friday 16 October, 16:15 instead of 18:00
- Half Term: Monday 19 October – Friday 30 November
- Term Recommences: Monday 2 November, 8:20am
- Year 7 Parents Evening: Wednesday 25 November, 17:30 – 19:30
- Christmas Carol Concert: Friday 4 December, 15:00 – 16:15
- Term Ends: Friday 11 December, 12:00
- Term Begins: Tuesday 5 January, 8:20
- House Dance Competition: Wednesday 10 February
- Half Term Departs: Friday 12 February, 16:15 instead of 18:00
- Half Term: Monday 15 – Friday 19 February
- Term Recommences: Monday 22 February, 8:20
- Spring Concert: Thursday 11 March
- Term Ends: Friday 26 March, 12:00
- Term Begins: Tuesday 20 April, 8:20
- Half Term Departs: Friday 28 May, 16:15
- Half Term: Monday 1 – Friday 4 June
- Term Recommences: Monday 7 June, 8:20
- Summer Concert: Wednesday 16 June
- Sports Day: Wednesday 233 June
- Swimming Gala: Friday 2 July
- Speech Day and End of Term: Saturday 3 July
A christmas tradition at PHC is to take a photo of our Year 7's infront of our Christmas tree, here's a picture from last Christmas!
At your induction day you will have been sorted into either York, Gloucester or Windsor, find out more about the House System here from Mrs Chambers.